By Claire Bernstein, JCADA Intern
Dating is supposed to be a fun, new, and exciting experience. Everyone deserves a healthy relationship and it is important to look for a partner that brings out the best in you. Make sure to look for someone who:
- Treats you with respect.
- Encourages you to spend time with your friends or family.
- Listens to your ideas and knows how to compromise.
- Is positive and optimistic.
- Shares some of your interests such as movies, sports, reading, dancing or music.
- Isn’t afraid to share their thoughts and feelings.
- Is comfortable around your friends and family.
- Is proud of your accomplishments and successes.
- Respects your boundaries and your privacy.
- Doesn’t make fun of things you like or want to do.
- Is caring and honest.
- Encourages you to do well in school or at work.
- Understands the importance of healthy relationships.
- Respects your chosen gender pronouns or name.
- Supports your choices regarding your sexual orientation.
- Never threatens to out you to your friends and family members.
- Never tells you you’re not a real lesbian, gay man, trans person or whatever you identify as.
JCADA encourages you to be AWARE of how healthy your dating relationships are. If you want help understanding how you can apply healthy qualities to your relationship, contact JCADA at 1-877-88-JCADA(52232). Also, check out Break the Cycle, for more resources on healthy LGBTQ relationships.