February is Teen Dating Abuse Awareness Month
Get Involved! Help raise awareness of domestic violence. Here are some ideas on how you can make a difference and help put a stop to dating abuse:
- Become a fan of AWARE® on Facebook & follow us on Twitter. You can even put the domestic abuse purple ribbon on your Facebook profile picture to raise awareness.
- Donate your Facebook status or tweet a fact! Join us for 28 days of status updates. We will be updating it every day during the month of February with facts about domestic violence awareness, and we'll be trending #ItsNotLoveWhen. Read our statuses here and Tweet these facts from your Twitter account to spread the word.
- Wear orange on February 11th a national day, started by loveisrespect.org, to focus on promoting healthy relationships.
- Write an article or D'var Torah about dating abuse for your school newspaper or synagogue newsletter.
- Organize a cell phone drive or other fundraiser (e.g. hold a bake sale and pass out AWARE information at the same table) to benefit AWARE and our parent organization - Jewish Coalition Against Domestic Abuse (JCADA). Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for signs and instructions that you can use for a cell phone drive.
- Set up a booth at your school or synagogue to distribute information about healthy teen relationships.
- Bring our "It's Not Love"® education workshop to your school or synagogue by contacting JCADA at 301-315-8040 to find out more.
- Visit the Safety and Facts sections of this website to find out more about what abuse is and how you can help a friend in need. Check out MTV's A Thin Line campaign at athinline.org to learn more about cyber bullying and technology abuse (like constant text messaging).
- Visit JCADA's website to see our bathroom posters. To have those or additional informational handouts such as our Faces of Domestic Abuse brochure mailed to your synagogue or school, call the office at (301)315-8040.